Friday, January 20, 2006

Here Today

Urgh.

I am sleepy. I called in sick today because I know it will be a full week next week. It's oddly warm outside (well, for January, anyway). And one of my bestest friends, Lori, called me last night because she was reading through a bunch of my old high school looseleaf notes. Apparently they fill an entire GAP bag. Those notes are more than 15 years old. Yikes. So, in honor of old memories and nostalgia, here is one of my favorite Paul McCartney poems/songs. On the Tug of War album it's simply, "Here Today," but in Blackbird Singing: Poems and Lyrics 1965 - 1999, it's actually titled, "Here Today (Song for John)."

And if I said
I really knew you well
What would your answer be?
If you were here today.

Well, knowing you
You'd probably laugh and say
That we were worlds apart.
If you were here today.

But as for me
I still remember how it was before
And I am holding back the tears no more
I love you.

What about the time we met?
Well I suppose that you could say that
We were playing hard to get,
Didn't understand a thing
But we could always sing.

What about the night we cried?
Because there wasn't any reason left
To keep it all inside,
Never understood a word
But you were always there with a smile.

And if I say I really loved you
And was glad you came along,
Then you were here today,
For you were in my song
Here today.



^_^

No comments: