Sunday, July 03, 2005

Back from New York and Stratford

Hello all!

Geoff and I rented a car and drove out to Elizabeth, New Jersey last Sunday, then met up with my Detroit Archdiocesan Festival Chorus on Tuesday. The city tour was great, though exhausting and by no means as comprehensive as anyone would have liked (there was a very blink-and-you'll-miss it view of the Statue of Liberty through some trees as we happened to drive past). Our performance at Carnegie Hall wasn't bad, it was more enjoyable for the adrenaline rush of performing more than anything else. We did better at St. Patrick's Cathedral the next day, maybe because we were in the choir loft and no one could stare at us. Geoff and I then drove out to Syracuse, NY and then onward to Stratford.

All I can say is, I love the Barenaked Ladies. I have no doubt that much like Anderson and Ulvaeus (you may know them as the two gentlemen from ABBA) Robertson and Page could go into scoring musicals and plays if they wanted to. Steven Page wrote most of the material, but it's promoted as a BNL project. For excellent media clips, go to the Stratford website. And as much as I love the Ladies, the fellows they have performing the material do it fine justice. Check out the Lover and His Lass video - just amazing. I wonder if Wm. Shakespeare would be tickled at the idea of a group of guys dancing the hustle to his lyrics.

We drove back this morning and all was very quiet and green and beautiful. I do love flying, but a good road trip is well worth the extra time spent enclosed in a car. Well, that and a trusty iPod (or two, since we had both Geoff's and my mini). And now it is back to reality and budgeting and work starting on Wednesday (I took an extra day off which I will probably need just to get through all of my e-mail).

If you can get to Stratford before the show closes in October, do it. Get a big group of folks together and go see the show. If you can't get to the show, buy the CD or the MP3 (you can also purchase downloads of past concerts).

Later! L.

No comments: